SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#324284 - 05/16/11 03:25 PM Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I recently discovered a cool song that I'd like to learn and include in my repertoire. It's called:

Walk Between The Raindrops, composed by Donald Fagen (1982), and founder & lead singer of Steely Dan.

Interestingly enough, the first time I heard this song and drawn to possibly learning it, was when I recently heard 'German' Singer Tom Gaebel's terrific (in english) rendition of it: smile

As I usually do when wanting to learn a new song,
I try to listen to every rendition possible I can find to give me some different ideas on how I might cover it.

Finally: does anyone here have a lead sheet for this tune they can share with me?

Thanks in advance. - Scott cool

#324293 - 05/16/11 06:19 PM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Scottyee]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Scott, I found it listed in an index as being in the "Real Jazz Book - Warner Bros" but don't have that book.

#324294 - 05/16/11 06:48 PM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Bob Hendershot]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... great tune ... somewhat surprised you had never heard it until now ...

I've looked for the lead sheet in the past with no success, but here are a couple of links for the lyrics and chords ...

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/donald_fagen/walk_between_the_raindrops_crd.htm

http://megachords.com/guitar/music/208645/walk-between-the-raindrops.htm

here's a link to the book Bob mentioned:

http://www.musicroom.com/Song/75812/walk-between-the-raindrops/

I would like to know if you come upon the sheet music ...

#324303 - 05/16/11 11:12 PM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Scott, I found it listed in an index as being in the "Real Jazz Book - Warner Bros" but don't have that book.
Hi Bob, yeah, I don't have that one either as that specific "Real Jazz Book" edition is only available for sale in Europe.

In the meantime, after spending some time attempting to transcribe the chords from the recording (and with some success smile ),
I was even luckier to find another fakebook that includes an accurate lead sheet (with all the correct chords).

I've attached a PDF of it and uploaded here on SZ just in case anybody else might be interested in playing this tune.
I also included a 2nd supplemental page which has the intro, chords scales (for soloing) and some bass line ideas. All useful info, especially for jazz keyboard players. cool

IMPORTANT NOTE: "Walk Between The Raindrops" is idea for playing those II-V & II-V-I rootless jazz chords I spoke on about here, as it's chock full of these progressions: (Dm7 - G7 - C6), (Am7-D7}; (Gm7-C7-FMaj). I recommend (on Tyros 4) playing this song in 'A1 Fingered mode', utilizing the "Big Band Jazz" preset style at 142bpm, as it includes walking bass, so when you play LH rootless chords (with left voice assigned to acoustic piano and of course the piano voice activated), the auto accompaniment bass style part supplies the 'root notes' in its walking bass line. I encourage members to try this out as it's a perfect example of playing LH rootless chords in auto accomp mode on a jazz tune. cool

Attachments
Walk Between The Raindrops-1.jpg

Walk Between The Raindrops-2.jpg

#324304 - 05/17/11 12:26 AM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Such an awesome song. And just I love the Fender Rhodes and Hammond B3 parts in Donald Fagan's version. Steely Dan are my favorite band of all time. I have seen them live a number of times and have never been disappointed. Donald and Walter are pure musical magic.

#324305 - 05/17/11 12:39 AM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nigel
Such an awesome song. And just I love the Fender Rhodes and Hammond B3 parts in Donald Fagan's version. Steely Dan are my favorite band of all time. I have seen them live a number of times and have never been disappointed. Donald and Walter are pure musical magic.

Well said, Nigel. I've never been lucky enough to see them live, but their music has always fascinated me with it's quirky lyrics, and clever chord changes.

Definitely musical magic!

Ian

#324315 - 05/17/11 10:02 AM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Scottyee]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

I can't tell you how appreciative I am that you took the time to explain how you play the song and include the lead sheet for the song as well. I love this kind of collaboration. This is why you are such a valuable resource to this forum!

Thanks and much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Hi Bob, yeah, I don't have that one either as that specific "Real Jazz Book" edition is only available for sale in Europe.

In the meantime, after spending some time attempting to transcribe the chords from the recording (and with some success smile ),
I was even luckier to find another fakebook that includes an accurate lead sheet (with all the correct chords).

I've attached a PDF of it and uploaded here on SZ just in case anybody else might be interested in playing this tune.
I also included a 2nd supplemental page which has the intro, chords scales (for soloing) and some bass line ideas. All useful info, especially for jazz keyboard players. cool

IMPORTANT NOTE: "Walk Between The Raindrops" is idea for playing those II-V & II-V-I rootless jazz chords I spoke on about here, as it's chock full of these progressions: (Dm7 - G7 - C6), (Am7-D7}; (Gm7-C7-FMaj). I recommend (on Tyros 4) playing this song in 'A1 Fingered mode', utilizing the "Big Band Jazz" preset style at 142bpm, as it includes walking bass, so when you play LH rootless chords (with left voice assigned to acoustic piano and of course the piano voice activated), the auto accompaniment bass style part supplies the 'root notes' in its walking bass line. I encourage members to try this out as it's a perfect example of playing LH rootless chords in auto accomp mode on a jazz tune. cool

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#324363 - 05/17/11 06:04 PM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: kbrkr]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I can't tell you how appreciative I am that you took the time to explain how you play the song and include the lead sheet for the song as well. I love this kind of collaboration. This is why you are such a valuable resource to this forum!

Thanks Al, that meant a lot to me. smile
Your words of appreciation made it worth all the effort I put into this. - Scott cool

#324518 - 05/19/11 01:59 PM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Scottyee]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... let me add MY thank you for providing not only the videos, but a HUGE thank you for the lead sheet and Supplemental Material ... MUCH appreciated ...

Did you notice a little 'Sinatra' in Tom Gaebel's voice at times ? I also got a kick out of the 'scratches' from the vinyl recording of Torme ... GREAT STUFF ...

many thnx agn

BTW ... how old was the sax player in Gaebel's video ?!?!? he looked about 16 !!! laugh

Edited by tony mads usa (05/19/11 02:04 PM)
Edit Reason: add BTW

#324525 - 05/19/11 03:13 PM Re: Lead Sheet Needed: "Walk Between The Raindrops" [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey Scott...let me add my thanks and appreciation to the above.

Man, you are a valuable member of this forum, and it really shows in this thread, with the terrific lead sheets, the videos, and the absolutely invaluable supplementary material.

Thanks buddy...you are awesome!

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online